Vasclip - some listed doctors are no longer doing the procedure
Stephen Hewson
2004-05-19 03:02:36 UTC
I am interested in the vasclip option, www.vasclip.com.

The list of doctors on their website includes three reasonably local
doctors.

However, according to their secretaries, two of them are no longer
using the vasclip after vasectomy failures in early patients.

I have an appointment with the third guy. But I'll be asking pointed
questions.

Has anyone else come across similar situations - doctors who tried the
vasclip but don't use it now?

SH
David
2004-05-19 06:06:27 UTC
Post by Stephen Hewson
I have an appointment with the third guy. But I'll be asking pointed
questions.
Has anyone else come across similar situations - doctors who tried the
vasclip but don't use it now?
Hi,

It's the first time we have heard of this here - mind you, the device has
only been approved by the FDA since January 2003.

It's diffiult to really be able to offer any form if informed opinion on the
device. The only research available seems to be that done by the
manufacturers of the device. There isn't any evidence to verify or
contradict claims made by the makers, or any data on long term safety or
reliability.

I'd have to say that the idea is not new. In fact, back in 1971 Dr Jhaver
published a paper into research he was involved with to ascertain the
effectivenes of using a "Vas-occlusion clip". The idea being to seal the vas
deferens and then remove the clip to make you fertile again as and when
required.

http://www.vasectomy-information.com/jhaver/jhaver6.htm

The chief findings of the study was that they required two clips on each vas
deferens to make the subject sterile, and the removal of the device was not
as easy as they thought, do to scar tissue building up and surrounding the
device.

I don't believe the idea had much more research until Vasclip came along.

It may be that as the device is so new, the doctor is not able to give you
answers yet. It is interesting that 2/3 have given up using it because of
failures.

I'm sure we would all be interested to know what #3 says, so please keep us
posted.

David
www.vasectomy-information.com
trifold
2004-05-19 13:33:10 UTC
Post by Stephen Hewson
Has anyone else come across similar situations - doctors who tried the
vasclip but don't use it now?
SH
This is interesting news. It reminds me of what I learned last night
in the vas chatroom. A guy there (who goes by nnn) reports that after
5 semen tests (talk about dedication!) his sperm level is increasing.
He is planning a return trip to the clinic for a free repeat
operation. The first time the doctor only tied the tubes closed,
apparently, without cutting them. This process sounds a bit similar
to what goes on with the vas clip. I believe he will insist on the
tubes being cut this time.

trifold
www.vasectomy-information.com
Giraud
2004-05-19 16:56:53 UTC
Post by trifold
The first time the doctor only tied the tubes closed,
apparently, without cutting them.
Wow! That isn't even technically a "vasectomy" then, is it?!

I didn't think doctors ever used a tying only method - sounds like it
wouldn't work well. I certainly would not feel secure about it.

Personally, I don't know what the advantage would be of vasclip.
Getting the operation done should be just about as intrusive as a
vasectomy, and reversibility is questionable. If it's the permanence of
a regular vasectomy that is worrisome, I'd steer away from either procedure.

Another disadvantage is vasclip is that by definition it is impossible
to do an "open-ended" version. So sperm backpressure (as several of us
here have had to some degree from closed-ended vasectomies) will be at
least as much of a problem as in a vasectomy.

I just read some of the FAQ on the vasclip site. I found the following
interesting:

"In short, the most current peer-reviewed vasectomy related papers
indicate that the rate of failure and complications associated with
vasectomy has been historically underestimated. As indicated by the
below Vasectomy Complications Summary, the weighted average failure rate
of vasectomy in 23 published studies is approximately 4%. Generally
speaking this failure rate is similar for standard or no-scalpel vasectomy."

4%? - that sounds unlikely So they are saying vasclip is *more*
reliable. Has anyone read the associated references?

-Giraud
David
2004-05-19 20:41:38 UTC
Post by Giraud
I just read some of the FAQ on the vasclip site. I found the following
"In short, the most current peer-reviewed vasectomy related papers
indicate that the rate of failure and complications associated with
vasectomy has been historically underestimated. As indicated by the
below Vasectomy Complications Summary, the weighted average failure rate
of vasectomy in 23 published studies is approximately 4%. Generally
speaking this failure rate is similar for standard or no-scalpel vasectomy."
4%? - that sounds unlikely So they are saying vasclip is *more*
reliable. Has anyone read the associated references?
Hmm........

I don't have time currently to look at this, but my guess is that there is
some dodgy maths going on, done with a cheap calculator that "fell off the
back of a lorry".

Vasclip trying to say that vasclip is better than vasectomy - now there's a
thing.

I wonder what they mean by "Weighted average" - would it be vasclip that are
weighting the averages perchance?

I'm not convinced, and I'm pretty sure that some research into the claims
would totally convince me to be not convinced!

David
www.vasectomy-information.com
David
2004-05-20 05:45:11 UTC
Post by Giraud
"In short, the most current peer-reviewed vasectomy related papers
indicate that the rate of failure and complications associated with
vasectomy has been historically underestimated. As indicated by the
below Vasectomy Complications Summary, the weighted average failure rate
of vasectomy in 23 published studies is approximately 4%. Generally
speaking this failure rate is similar for standard or no-scalpel vasectomy."
Had a quick look. All other data is referenced against vasclip's study into
vasclip (not published on Medline, and not peer reviewed). It's interesting
that they give NO details on the 23 studies, so we have no idea what the
comparisons being made are. There are some studies referenced, and I will
indeed take a look at them as my curiosity has been aroused.

David,
www.vasectomy-information.com
David
2004-05-20 20:11:50 UTC
Post by Giraud
I just read some of the FAQ on the vasclip site. I found the following
"In short, the most current peer-reviewed vasectomy related papers
indicate that the rate of failure and complications associated with
vasectomy has been historically underestimated. As indicated by the
below Vasectomy Complications Summary, the weighted average failure rate
of vasectomy in 23 published studies is approximately 4%. Generally
speaking this failure rate is similar for standard or no-scalpel vasectomy."
4%? - that sounds unlikely So they are saying vasclip is *more*
reliable. Has anyone read the associated references?
As promised some research.

I can't look at the claims of the 23 studies, as they don't mention them.

I can't be sure that the studies identified below are the ones they refer to
as they haven't given the title of the studies.

"It should be noted that the five most recently published papers on
vasectomy, Labreque et al. 2002, Mason et. al. 2002, Nazerali et. al. 2003,
Barone et. al. 2003, and Hieu et. al. 2003 cite failure rates of 4.9%, 8.0%,
2.5%, 11.5% and 4.1%, respectively. As stated by D. Sokal in a recent
paper, vasectomy is not 100 % effective as judged by semen analysis or by
occurrence of pregnancy."

Labreque et al. 2002
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12441948
*IF* this is the same study, it compares two different occlusion techniques,
and doesn't quote 4.9% failure at all.

Mason et. al. 2002 Possibly the following, but without the title can't
confirm this. Vasclip say 8%, but this study deals with distal irrigation
NOT failure.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11880085

Nazerali et. al. 2003
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12742564
This study makes the point that being sperm free takes longer than often
quoted. As per the study below, vasclip do not claim the product makes you
sperm free any quicker than conventional vasectomy.

Barone et. al. 2003
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12913724
Vasclip say 11.5% failure. The study purpose was to determine if the 20
ejaculations or 3 months limits oft quoted meant that men were cleared. The
study found that in their sample, 11.5% of men were not clear by three
months. It should be noted that vasclip say in their FAQ page that vasclip
patients are not expected to become sprem free any quicker that conventional
vasectomy techniques.

Hieu et. al. 2003
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14763190
Titled
"The acceptability, efficacy and safety of quinacrine non-surgical
sterilization (QS), tubectomy and vasectomy in 5 provinces in the Red River
Delta, Vietnam: a follow-up of 15,190 cases."

"As stated by D. Sokal in a recent paper, vasectomy is not 100 % effective
as judged by semen analysis or by occurrence of pregnancy". This isn't news!

My observations are that most of these studies refer to the time it takes to
become sperm free. As we all know it really isn't news that we all clear at
different intervals, and it simply isn't news that some men take longer than
three months to clear. Vasclip do not claim that their product will enable
men to be sperm free quicker - they state that it should be no different to
conventional vasectomy in this respect. However, they are using these
studies to try and prove that the product is somehow more reliable than
vasectomy.

The clinical trial of Vasclip was paid for by Vasclip. The trial data does
not seem to be published online, and as far as I can tell is not peer
reviewed. As far as I can tell, there is no independant data into the
product.

There are two methods of measuring vasectomy effectiveness. Firstly by semen
analysis and tabulating that data, and secondly by post-vasectomy pregnancy
rates.

The semen studies all tend to be short term ones, therefore tend to be
higher failure rates. Very few look at how effective it is once the men have
actually cleared , which is often than the study allows.

The pregancy studies tend to be lower. The one that looks at if any
"Vasectomy babies" DNA tie up with the parents come out even lower - 4000/1.

David
www.vasectomy-information.com
zinny
2004-05-25 16:56:04 UTC
David,

I am a U.S. Vasclip patient who was extremely pleased with the outcome
of my procedure. I am not a Vasclip employee or a Vasclip
shareholder. I have been working in medical devices for over 15 years
and was contacted by a friend to whom I suggested the Vasclip
procedure, but who is now hesitating due to your half-assed vasectomy
research. Why are you trying to scare men?

Your comments regarding the vasectomy studies cited by Vasclip are
misleading and wrong. Please do more home work.

Labrecque et al. 2002
This study compares two different, commonly performed vasectomy
techniques with 126 of 1,453 (8.7%) patients who received a metal clip
being classified as a failure, and 3 of 1,165 (0.3%) who received only
cautery being classified as a failure. Over all failure rate: 129 of
2,618 = 4.9%. Bottom line; don't let the doctor use a metal clip,
which causes vas necrosis and can eventually "fall off." According to
their web site, the Vasclip is designed to close the vas without
damaging it.

Mason et. al. 2002
This prospective randomized trial not only tested to see if sterile
water irrigation accelerated the clearance of sperm (which it did
not), but also tracked these patients out to 76 to 85 weeks, at which
time 7.98% of all patients were deemed vasectomy failures.

Nazerali et. al. 2003
The stated intent of this study was "to evaluate the effectiveness of
vasectomy." The results of this study showed that 2.5% of the men
were deemed as failures after 3 months, 2.7% had pregnancies after 3
months, and the life-table (forecasted) pregnancy rate at 36 months is
4.2%!

Barone et al., 2003
According to this prospective study, 60% of men were NOT
azoospermic/infertile at 3 months, 16.6% were not
azoospermic/infertile at 6 months and 11.5% were considered failures
at, or after, 6 months.

Your conclusions that these studies only relate to "time to
azoospermia," do not assess failure rates, and are "short term"
studies are incorrect.

You are correct in stating that the company does not claim (nor is
there any clinical reason) that Vasclip patients will become
azoospermic/infertile any faster than if they had a vasectomy, (I was
"cleared" at approximately 4 months, after two clean semen analyses
at 3 mos. and 4 mos.).

You are probably right that the Company is pointing out these studies
for the purposes of failure and complication comparison. Good for
them. At least they provide the results of these studies on their
web site, and based on the number of studies they cite and summarize
on their web site, it does not appear they are being selective.

As for the Vasclip clinical study data, I agree having it published in
a peer-reviewed journal would provide additional credibility. This
was one of my concerns when I first explored the Vasclip. I took
comfort that (as stated under the Physician section of their web site)
the company undertook its clinical study under the auspices of an
Independent Review Board (IRB) and submitted their clinical study data
as part of their FDA clearance submission process. While not a peer
reviewed journal, this gave me assurance that unbiased clinicians
reviewed their data. According to the same source, the company has
submitted their clinical data for peer-reviewed publication (which can
take as long as 9 to 12 months).

I asked my doctor about Vasclip failures and got the usual explanation
that all birth control methods have failure rates, but then he assured
me the Vasclip failures were associated with not putting the Vasclip
on right, and that he would do it right! It seems he did.

Now please stop scaring my friends who refuse to get a vasectomy, but
are willing to go for a Vasclip procedure. I know their wives would
appreciate you getting your facts straight!

Regards,

Zinny
Giraud
2004-05-25 18:28:01 UTC
Post by zinny
I have been working in medical devices for over 15 years
and was contacted by a friend to whom I suggested the Vasclip
procedure, but who is now hesitating due to your half-assed vasectomy
research.
I would say that "hesitating," as long as it means one is educating
oneself, is a good thing. Obviously, spreading disinformation is wrong
(and David's intention is certainly not this!), but it's OK to raise
questions. Going into anything like this blind is unwise.
Post by zinny
Now please stop scaring my friends who refuse to get a vasectomy, but
are willing to go for a Vasclip procedure.
I'm curious: why do they refuse a vasectomy and yet consider the
vasclip? What worries them about a vasectomy? I find it interesting
since the only real difference seems to be whether or not the vas is
actually cut, and I'm not sure why, if one wants to be sterile, there's
a problem with the actual cutting. I don't mean to be at all critical;
I am just wondering what the thought process is.
Post by zinny
I know their wives would
appreciate you getting your facts straight!
Remember that any such procedure should only be undergone by a man if
*he* truly wants it. There is a huge amount of evidence that any
pressure from one's wife (if the man is unsure) can cause regret and
other problems later. This cannot be overemphasized.

Giraud
zinny
2004-05-27 12:42:25 UTC
David and Giraud,

Thank you for taking my message in the light it was intended. It
sounds like we are closer than we thought:

- data is good
- men should explore all of their options and consider the published
risks and benefits

My final comments are as follows.

1. Speaking for myself, the reason I opted for a Vasclip procedure is
that by reducing the extensive vas deferens "manipulation" required to
expose it for cutting/cautery/suture, and by eliminating the cutting,
cautery (burning) and suturing or metal clipping of the vas deferens,
you would reduce the most common complications associated with
vasectomy: pain, swelling, infection, bleeding and sperm granuloma.
The posted Vasclip clinical study results indicate the same.

2. The reason that my wife benefits from my decision is that if I did
not get the Vasclip I was unlikely to move forward with a vasectomy
and that meant my wife would have either continued on the pill or
consider a tubal ligation. These options have their own sets of risks
and complications. My wife did not pressure me into getting a
Vasclip, but as you would hope we did our birth control homework,
weighed the risks and benefits and made a joint decision.

3. The 1971 Jhaver study you refer to was a dog study that used
tantalum (metal clips), which as I have mentioned previously have been
shown to have relatively high failure rates due to the fact that they
damage/cut/ necroses the vas deferens, and still require that the vas
deferens be excised. These metal clips, and that study, are very
different from the Vasclip which was designed to close the vas
deferens without damaging it, and locks in place, without requiring
any vas cutting.

Thanks for listening. Keep up the good work.

zinny
David
2004-05-27 19:53:08 UTC
Post by zinny
Thank you for taking my message in the light it was intended. It
I did start to wonder what we were squabbling about :)

One thing does strike me as a good idea. We don't have any personal
experiences on the website from men who have had Vasclip. There must be
quite a few out there that are considering it, and a story from someone who
has had it done may well help them in their decision making process.

If you do decide this is a good idea, you can either post it here or email
it to me. If not, that's cool too!

David
www.vasectomy-information.com
JamesP
2004-10-30 21:27:01 UTC
I'm one of those guys who is not that excited about a traditional
vascetomy. The guys who report perminant pain and have had to do
reversals etc are part of the issue. I believe that if I get one (Next
Month BTW) using Vasclip it gives me a little piece of mind in that area.
Would removing the Vasclip stop a pain issue? It's not clear. my thought
is that it at least will be easier and less expensive if it ever came to
that. I think the idea of blocking the flow without distroying or
removing tissue is a big plus. *And I don't like the smell of burning
flesh. ;-)
David
2004-05-26 05:35:00 UTC
Post by zinny
I am a U.S. Vasclip patient who was extremely pleased with the outcome
of my procedure. I am not a Vasclip employee or a Vasclip
shareholder. I have been working in medical devices for over 15 years
and was contacted by a friend to whom I suggested the Vasclip
procedure, but who is now hesitating due to your half-assed vasectomy
research. Why are you trying to scare men?

Firstly, I'm not anti-Vasclip, and secondly I'm not trying to scare anybody.

The website does link to the Vasclip site in more than one place, including
general information on vasectomy they provide that is not particularly
related to Vasclip. I have wished them well with the device on several
occasions here, and in addition have posted Vasclip stories and press
releases to the website news ticker. That *has* generated a fair amount of
traffic to their site/s, and awareness of their product. As new press
releases are made I will continue to do this. I accept that any new device
will go through initial difficulties as there is an inevitable learning
curve for all those involved (manufacturer/Physicians/FDA etc.). Men do have
very limited B/C options, and I do sincerely hope the device goes on to be
an alternative. I also accept that this takes time and encouragement.

Should we believe statements made by corporations without question?

I don't believe we should. It is fair to say (as I already have done) that
Vasclip do not claim the device will enable earlier clearance, nor do they
claim it is reversable. It's also fair to say that Vasclip's use of
information, whilst naturally intended to show their product in a favourable
light, is not intended to mislead.

Due to the fact that claims for products and services made by manufacturers
are often less than honest, I exercise caution when it comes to looking at
these claims. Having said that, I'm all for new products and scientific
advancement. At the same time I like more information than is usually
initially available before I'd try something personally.

I don't believe it's wrong to market any device without the benefit of large
scale multinational trials going back years, in fact it's probably not
practical. The usual pattern is for new products to come on the market in
limited quantities based on small trials, and research continues from then
on. This is the current situation as I understand it in respect of Vasclip.
I do think as a very general point that once devices/products gain approval,
the interests are to provide shareholders with dividends, and research tends
to be less of a priority than it maybe should be.

I feel it's important to remember comments made by others in this thread. It
was started by Stephen saying:- "However, according to their secretaries,
two of them are no longer using the vasclip after vasectomy failures in
early patients." Giraud queried Vasclips use of studies to claim standard
vasectomy failure of 4%, and he also made the point that Vasclip "seemed" to
be using these studies to claim that their product was more reliable than
standard vasectomy.

We can argue forever about the studies referred to. None of them are studies
that compare standard vasectomy techniques against Vasclip, nor do such
studies exist at present. Yet I have to agree with Giraud that the research
is being used to make direct comparisons. I accept your point that that they
haven't misquoted the portions of the studies they have used, or been
especially selective in the one's they have chosen. If the studies are
entirely relevant for use as a comparison in this manner is up for debate,
but I'm not going to go down that route.

The point I would make is that there are other studies and review articles
that look at reliability. The most recent is probably the UK guidelines
currently in the final review stage. The document runs to126 pages, and
looks at 275+ studies (including most, if not all the ones Vasclip refer to)
, grading all of them for levels of evidence etc. This document is intended
as guidelines for all persons involved with the delivery of sterilisation
services, and the primary purpose is "Evidence based guidelines" to minimise
litigation against the NHS. Their analysis concludes in section 7.61. B that
"men should be informed that vasectomy has an associated failure rate and
that pregnancies can occur several years after vasectomy. The rate should be
quoted as approximately 1 in 2000 after clearance has been given". Whilst
looking at the results Vasclip have used in their comparison, I also have
this figure in mind, and 4%/1 in 2000 are vastly different.

It's not unfair to point out that the only data available on a product comes
from the manufacturer and has not been through peer review as yet. You
yourself point out that "As for the Vasclip clinical study data, I agree
having it published in a peer-reviewed journal would provide additional
credibility. This was one of my concerns when I first explored the Vasclip."

Whilst I accept your comments on the integrity of the Vasclip study, we both
know that to gain wide acceptance of the product, independant research will
have to be done, and the process of peer review of that research will have
to be gone through. This will inevitably take time, but will be necessary.

My comments on the two methods of how vasectomy reliability is calculated do
not refer to Vasclip. The UK guidelines mentioned above discusess this issue
briefly. Those comments, and the information on Jhaver's early research into
the vas occlusion clip are for general background interest. My comments that
men do take longer to become azospermatic than often assumed (as shown by
some of the studies mentioned) are not new. Much of the recent research into
how long it takes to clear does conclude that 3 months / 20 ejacs can't be
relied upon. This is a recurrent theme here in relation to vasectomy
procedures generally - not Vasclip. As I pointed out (and you acknowledge)
Vasclip do not claim their product speeds this up. I think it is responsible
to point out that research *does* indicate that many men are not cleared as
quickly as often assumed, but this should not be construed as a criticism of
Vasclip.
Post by zinny
Now please stop scaring my friends who refuse to get a vasectomy, but
are willing to go for a Vasclip procedure.

I seriously did not intend this to be the case, and aplogise if people think
my comments have cause any concerns.

I would say that I appreciate you are a satisfied customer, but there is
also the wider picture to consider. Those that suffer post-vasectomy
problems rightly insist that those that post "for" the procedure should
point out that there are risks as well as benefits, and men considering
vasectomy have the right to know this. In a similar vein, it's not unfair or
unreasonable to point out that Vasclip *is* a new device, and there is only
a very limited amount of data available on it's effectiveness and
complication rates, and none of it is independant research at this time. I'd
argue that men and their partners should make themselves aware of this fact,
and it should be considered along with all the other information they will
read in the course of research. Some people are happy to be in the forefront
of research, others prefer not to be amongst the pioneers.

Pointing out that there is no independant research etc. should not be
regarded as scaremongering or being critical of the device in any way - it's
just a fact.

David
www.vasectomy-information.com
JamesP
2004-10-30 21:31:28 UTC
I just wanted to add that the Urologist that is doing my Vasclip procedure
was not that enthusiasic. He said that he thought the Vasclip was
expensive and probably would not provide any benifit. *Note that he has
done it and traditional Vas operations since the 70s. I decided that I
did want a doctor with experience and simply would not argue with him but
insist this was what I wanted.
David
2004-10-31 07:54:49 UTC
Hi James,
Post by JamesP
I'm one of those guys who is not that excited about a traditional
vascetomy. The guys who report perminant pain and have had to do
reversals etc are part of the issue. I believe that if I get one (Next
Month BTW) using Vasclip it gives me a little piece of mind in that area.
Would removing the Vasclip stop a pain issue? It's not clear. my thought
is that it at least will be easier and less expensive if it ever came to
that. I think the idea of blocking the flow without distroying or
removing tissue is a big plus.
The problem is that there is no research that might be able to answer your
questions. As far as I'm aware, the only published research available to
date is the study work done by Vasclip themselves in order to get regulatory
approval to market the device. Last time I looked at their site, Vasclip
were not claiming that removing the device reverses the procedure - they
were stating that it is an alternative to vasectomy and should still be
considered permanent.

A lot of the pain issues relate to the blocking of the flow - hence reversal
being an effective cure in the majority of cases. Vasclip will still block
the flow. How reversible it is will not be known for a good few years. The
Vasclip study was fairly short, and didn't have that many men involved.
Therefore, the data they provide re pain and effectiveness has limitations.
In years to come, we will know more about long term pain, long term
effectiveness and removal - the trial was set up to gain regulatory
approval, and hence is unable to tell us this. Only time will tell.

In earlier experiments of a vas occlusion clip some years back, it was found
that scar tissue formed over the clip, making removal trickier than assumed.
I am aware that the earlier tantalum clips were rather different to Vasclip,
but there is the possibility that the same scarring would occur. Therefore
removal of the clip may not be as simple as insertion - my guess is that it
would require the section to be snipped out and tubes reconnected with one
of the usual reversal techniques.
Post by JamesP
*And I don't like the smell of burning flesh. ;-)
I'm sure we'd all relate to that one but it is momentary.
Post by JamesP
I just wanted to add that the Urologist that is doing my Vasclip procedure
was not that enthusiasic. He said that he thought the Vasclip was
expensive and probably would not provide any benifit. *Note that he has
done it and traditional Vas operations since the 70s. I decided that I
did want a doctor with experience and simply would not argue with him but
insist this was what I wanted.
Regarding the pain issues, and information you read on the web/newsgroups,
it's a good idea to read RoboG's recent comments in this forum.His comments
aren't unusual as many feel the way he does, but they are the most recent
ones in this forum.

The number of men posting here with problems will be disproportionate to the
actual percentage of problems experienced. Men do need a forum to air their
grievances and discuss the issues they face, and that is one of the reasons
this forum exists. If you talk to men you know who have had it done (many
more of them than you might think) then you will get an entirely different
picture - OK their stories *will* gain something in the telling of course :)

David
www.vasectomy-information.com
JamesP
2004-11-20 19:22:31 UTC
Well, I opted for the procedure and am post op + 4 with minimal pain. The
Doctor who performed the Vasclip procedure told me that he was not
convinced of the benifits of useing this device. He asked me if I had
done my research and made up my mind. I told him I had and that ended his
argument against it. The nurses who assisted commented that this was very
quick and thought this was pretty good. I asked the Doctor what he
thought and he grunbled that he still wasn't convinced. BTW after
examining my Vas he had concerns that it was rather large and that the
Vasclip only came in one size. He was suprised (and pleased I think) that
is clamped on perfectly. That said I'm not convinced either (time will
tell) but so far I'm glad I went this route. Recovery so far has been
excellent. I believe I could have returned to work the next day.
Brusing, swelling all minimal. Compared to two friends who did the
traditional Vasectomy it is a big improvement.

BTW someone made the comment that the Vasclip was designed to crush the
vas damaging it. After going through the vasclip site I believe this is
incorrect. It is not supposed to crush the vas. Only clamp down on it,
blocking the flow of sperm. There will be scar tissue where the incision
was made to get to the vas.

BTW I understand that the company is doing a study on reversal. How that
might effect people with long term pain issues is not known. As a non
doctor I think it could be significant.

I would like to end by saying that I would hope that others reading this
will include this option as they seek birth control. I'm not selling
stock. I am not fully convinced but so far I'm happy I did it this way.
As there was not a lot of first hand accounts of this procedure I started
a site on Yahoo groups. If anyone is interested in my personal (but not
too graphic) experiences go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vasclip/
David
2004-11-20 20:23:38 UTC
Hi again,

Thanks for posting your experience here - maybe you'd like to have it posted
on the website. Usenet posts are rather short lived - limited by the time
they are archived on the server (30 days in my ISP's case). Stories on the
website will be there (and read) for years to come, as some already have
been.
Post by JamesP
BTW I understand that the company is doing a study on reversal. How that
might effect people with long term pain issues is not known. As a non
doctor I think it could be significant.
Well, I would say that it will need a lot more data than one study to answer
the question. I'd like to see data from independant sources alongside the
company data. Hopefully in time this data will appear.
Post by JamesP
As there was not a lot of first hand accounts of this procedure I started
a site on Yahoo groups. If anyone is interested in my personal (but not
too graphic) experiences go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vasclip/
OK - good idea. I'd be happy to link to the group.

David
www.vasectomy-information.com