vasectomy clips and MRI
GLUB
2005-04-03 23:24:40 UTC
I wrote this to one of the responders for the topic "clips" but it if
anyone in the wider vasectomy group can help I and my brain and my
scrotum would be grateful.

Hi David,
I need info about clips. I am looking for info about my old vasectomy
and this topic seems appropriate since I need info about metal clips.
I had a vasectomy before 1981 and after 1974. I can't remember the
year. I think I had a metal clip but I'm not sure. I don't have
access to my old medical record yet. Now I need to have an MRI for a
brain problem. The MRI was scheduled and I arrived at the lab and
mentioned my vasectomy with a possible metal clip. It hit the fan then
-- was it an MRI compatible clip, they asked. They knew that titanium
was used for most clips in the past ten or twenty years but they didn't
know what was used in the seventies. They checked with a neurologist
and a urologist and no one knew.
They described to me what would happen to the clips if they were iron
based. They would either reach a burning temp when the magnets were
turned on or else the clips would be pulled out and up to the ceiling.
They invited me to cancel the procedure until I could be sure there was
no clip or it was the right kind (titanium, gold, copper, aluminum -- I
vote for aluminum if it isn't being resorbed and causing Alzheimers).
I decided to postpone the MRI. I think I feel clips in the scrotum
that do feel like metal. Now, this is why I am asking you: you suggest
that the airport metal detectors might detect metals other than
titanium. Do you know this for sure or are just joking or surmizing?
Have I passed the test if I wasn't frisked any of the many times I
flew?
If you do not know, please suggest a solution short of having my whole
scrotal contents removed.
Or anyone else in this group, do you know?

Thanks, GLUB
David
2005-04-04 05:39:54 UTC
GLUB
2005-04-05 14:54:12 UTC
Thanks David, I am still trying to find any old urologist from the
facility where I had it.
I hope that tantulum like titanium is non-magnetic GLUB
Mister Ed
2005-04-04 16:50:17 UTC
Hi GLUB,

If David or any of the others can come of with some leads to follow, that would
be great. The idea of having metal clips torn forcibly from scrotum, or (re-)
cauterizing your vas sounds like something to definitely avoid.

Now it's just a thought I had, but it might help... Check into some groups
that prospect for treasure with high-end metal locators. Many of them can
distinguish between ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Some can even
differentiate gold, etc.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Mister Ed
Thanks, GLUB
GLUB
2005-04-05 14:51:02 UTC
Thanks, Mr Ed. I will let you know if this works or if David's
description holds together, and if tantulum is non-magnetic like
titanium. GLUB
t***@netscape.net
2005-04-06 17:54:09 UTC
Post by GLUB
Thanks, Mr Ed. I will let you know if this works or if David's
description holds together, and if tantulum is non-magnetic like
titanium. GLUB
I don't have much new to offer, but wanted to wish you luck. This is
definitely a question we haven't heard before! You might be able to
locate some discussion of early clip use at Medline, which could offer
a clue as to what they used on you back in the 1970/80s. Another
suggestion would be to contact the American Urological Association or
other vinage urologists in your area. But unless they can say no one
ever used non MRI compatible clips back then, you would still be acting
on a guess. And who wants to guess, given the likely outcome if the
guess is wrong? I'm thinking they might have to go back in and take a
look. Surely cancelling the MRI is not the best option. Please let us
know what you find out.

trifold
www.vasectomy-information.com
www.vasectomy-faq.org
Rob W. W. Hooft
2005-04-09 06:47:27 UTC
Post by GLUB
I wrote this to one of the responders for the topic "clips" but it if
anyone in the wider vasectomy group can help I and my brain and my
scrotum would be grateful.
Hi David,
I need info about clips. I am looking for info about my old vasectomy
and this topic seems appropriate since I need info about metal clips.
I had a vasectomy before 1981 and after 1974. I can't remember the
year. I think I had a metal clip but I'm not sure. I don't have
access to my old medical record yet. Now I need to have an MRI for a
brain problem.

An MRI machine basically is a very strong magnet. Can no-one in the MRI
lab test with a smaller test magnet whether you are "compatible"? I
would guess only ferroelectric materials could be a potential problem,
and there are not that many of those. e.g. even though iron is
ferroelectric, stainless steel isn't!

Rob